Twitter

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Packed with Emptiness


I scheduled my day in advance today, blocking out all of my work tasks on my train ride in by timed sections: calls due before 11am, follow up emails due before 1pm, process contracts before 3:30pm, prospecting due before 5pm, marketing due before 6:30pm. Within a minute or two after arriving at my desk, I begin to work steadily and focused on the time-allotted tasks. Suddenly I look at the clock and it's already 12pm. I haven't had a drink of water, gone to the bathroom, eaten a meal or even glanced out my window at the gorgeous day. I feel as though I've been holding my breath and waiting to live, to dance again. Where do I go when I lose myself in my work? How much stress am I causing myself? Where is the balance between being productive while maintaining sense of self? Sure, deep breaths help a lot IF I remember to breathe. In Zen Buddhism it can take a lifetime of practicing self awareness to bring about a higher sense of self.

I watched the Presidential Inauguration and was inspired and deeply touched by it. I was aware of myself. I took a short walk around 2:30pm to get some fresh air and a cup of tea. I was aware of myself. If I could only apply this awareness to when I'm knocking out tasks at my desk; my life would be so much juicier. Does anyone know where can I get a juicer for my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment